Monday, October 24, 2016

How to decide between DJI Mavic Pro and GoPro Karma




What a great problem to have, trying to decide on which new drone to buy, the Karma or the Mavic Pro. They both look like amazing drones packed with power and innovation, in small packages. I appreciate the detailed reviews that are already out there, comparing all the technical specs against each other, honestly half of them I don't even understand. For me it came down to a few basic questions I had to ask myself when comparing the DJI Mavic Pro and the GoPro Karma:



1) Size: both have compact fold-up arms, with the Mavic Pro decidedly smaller than the Karma. Does size matter that much to you? For me it does, the smaller the better, to a point. If a drone becomes so small and lightweight, it is difficult to fly outside in a windy conditions. From everything I have read about the Mavic Pro, it is quite capable in difficult conditions, so no concern there.  Score 1 point for Mavic Pro.
SCORE: Mavic Pro 1 : Karma 0


2) Battery Life: Flight time of 27 minutes for Mavic Pro, 20 for Karma. Chalk one up for Mavic Pro.
SCORE: Mavic Pro 2, Karma 0  

3) Range and Speed:  Big difference in range, Karma less than 2 miles, Mavic Pro over 4 miles. Speed: again it is Mavic Pro over Karma, 40 mph to 35 mph. another point for Mavic Pro.
SCORE: Mavic Pro 3, Karma 0

4) Cool Features A: Such as Collision Avoidance and Follow Me, only on Mavic Pro. Do I care about these features a lot? Not really. But it could save your drone from being bashed and Follow Me sounds like something fun to try. GoPro is offering the Passenger App, where friends can view your flight and control your drone (careful with that one). I like the Mavic Pro here, 1 more point.
SCORE: Mavic Pro 4, Karma 0

5) Cool Features B: Now this is where it gets interesting. If you already happen to have a GoPro camera compatible with Karma, you can save a few hundred dollars by not having to purchase one. Would I love to have a detachable GoPro camera that I can also shoot video with and pop onto GoPro's upcoming Karma Grip for more uses other than droning? Hell yes I would! Don't forget about all the GoPro camera Accessories available, you can mount their camera to virtually anything! These are big pluses for Karma. So if you have a GoPro camera or can spend the extra cash for one and the Karma Grip, big score for Karma, 3 points!
SCORE: Mavic Pro 4, Karma 3
Karma Grip

6) Controller:  I like the look of the Karma radio, don't  those knobs look a little too big and clumsy though? Flying the Mavic Pro with your phone is totally acceptable also. And since DJI is coming out with their own Goggles soon (that is the way I'm going), I'll call this one even, a point each.
SCORE: Mavic Pro 5, Karma 4


7) Intangibles A: Patriotism. Do I want to support an American company?  Yes, I am an american.
That is worth something. You may not care at all, or be from another country (I like to entertain dronies from all over the world). Purely a feel-good here. 1 point for Karma.
SCORE: Mavic Pro 5, Karma 5


8) Intangibles B: Experience making drones....goes to DJI hands down, they are dominating the drone world, GoPro is a newbie, but not to be taken lightly.  I would be shocked if the Karma didn't deliver everything they promise and innovate rapidly. But Mavic just has more history in it's DNA. Mavic Pro scores 1 point.
FINAL SCORE: Mavic Pro 6, Karma 5

So there you have it...I have decided which one I am going to buy, how about you? Perhaps you don't agree with something in sections in 1-7, so simply adjust the scores as you see fit. Maybe this will sway you over from one to the other. Personally, my goal is to have them BOTH. I already purchased one of them...details to be released Soon. Good luck drone shopping, tis the time and the season to make a dronie happy!

No comments: